How Do I Know When I Need a Dehumidifier?
A dehumidifier is an appliance that removes moisture from the air.
What are the signs that I need a dehumidifier?
There are a number of things that can indicate you need a dehumidifier:
- You may have condensation on your windows or doors. You will see water beading or fog/vapor on the glass of your windows. This moisture will eventually rot the wood and will also allow mold to grow.
- You may see mold spots on your ceiling or the corners of your walls. Moisture rises so you will often see evidence of mold or the beginning of mold up around where the walls meet the ceiling.
- A musty odor is another indicator that there is too much moisture in your house. Often these smells will come from a basement, crawl space, laundry room, entrances or garages. Musty or moldy smelling towels and bedding will let you know that your laundry room is one place where moisture is too heavy.
- A lot of homes have reoccurring spring water run-off. This results in a damp basement where you will see white or grey water level marks.
- You can see blistering paint or peeling wallpaper. When there is excess moisture in the air it can penetrate the wall. It then turns to steam and will cause your paint and wallpaper to lose adhesion. This will then result in bubbles or peels.
- The last thing you might witness is creaky doors/windows/floors, etc. As wood absorbs moisture it expands, this causes joints, screws, and the structural frame of your house to loosen.
Any or all of these things can be evidence of too much moisture in your home. New homes and remodeled homes have better insulation than ever before. This cuts your energy costs overall but it also creates less air flow and therefore traps humidity, so while you are saving money on gas/oil/electricity you may be creating another problem for yourself that, when left unchecked, can lead to costly repairs.
If you see any of these signs it is best to check the humidity levels in your home. You can do so by purchasing a hydrometer or call Montgomery HVAC Service Company at 972-442-5171. You can also request service online.